Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hummus


One of my favorite snacks and sandwich spreads is hummus. I like it on bagels, in wraps, or on just about any kind of sandwich. I have also found it to be good with salads. Hummus tends to travel very well, so I like to bring it when am bringing my lunch with me to work, for a picnic or anywhere really.

1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3/4 of a lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 1/2 tbs. olive oil
3 tbs. tahina (or more to taste)
3 pinches chopped parsley
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 tbs. water
Salt, to taste

Place chickpeas in a food processor and blend to break down. Add tahina and water, blending until beginning to form a smoother paste. Add crushed garlic and half of the lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Add 2 pinches chopped parsley, cumin, paprika, salt and rest of lemon juice. Process until well mixed.

With the processor running, add the olive oil until blended. Taste the hummus and add more garlic, tahina, lemon juice, or seasoning as desired. This makes a fairly thick hummus that lends itself to sandwiches, but if you desire a looser, creamier texture, you could add more tahina or water to loosen the mixture.

Garnish with parsley, whole chickpeas, paprika or olive oil.

2 comments:

  1. I like to make my hummus with lime juice in lieu of the lemon and I throw in some chopped cilantro too. Mmm, I love making hummus and falafel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lime juice is a great idea! I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete