Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Edible Explortions Book Club: Diet For A Small Planet


Since reading Diet For A Hot Planet, by Anna Lappe, I thought I should read her mother's work as well. Diet For A Small Planet is really the foundation for much of the writing about the food movement since the 1970's. Because I have read more recent works, Frances Moore Lappe was not saying much I did not already know, but I found her personal journey very inspiring. She also included some interesting facts about common protein myths, including other sources for Vitamin B12. I did not, for instance, realize that tempeh is a good source for B12, but I am very excited since I love tempeh!

However, although I found her journey to writing Diet For A Small Planet personally inspiring, in reading the 20th Anniversary Edition, there was too much discussion added concerning her work since writing the book, which pointed the reader towards her Institute for the Arts of Democracy and Food First organizations. I did not want to feel as though she was advertising for her other work.

I would say that this book has always been, and will continue to be, a great foundational resource for those interested in food and the ongoing food movement, but I actually thought that Anna Lappe's book would be a better resource for people looking to begin their search for knowledge about the food industry nowadays.

No comments:

Post a Comment