Friday, August 20, 2010

Rosendals Gardens



While on my recent trip to Sweden, I went somewhere in Stockholm that I had never been before, and it blew me away: Rosendals Gardens. The gardens are located on Djurgarden, an island within the city limits. They originally belonged to Rosendals Castle, built in the early 19th century by King Karl XIV Johan. Today, these gardens are maintained by a private foundation, but open to the general public.

The main focus is on organic garden cultivation, with vegetables, fruit orchards, and even wine grapes all being grown organically. Visitors are free to walk around and learn about how the different foods we eat and drink grow and develop. Produce from the gardens is sold in a shop on the premises, and there is a cafe serving only food from the gardens or the bakery on-site.

I was amazed at seeing how food that I eat every day grows. I had never seen an artichoke plant before, for instance, and had absolutely no idea it grows on a stalk. I wish we all could have the opportunity to get in touch with our food at this level and really understand the process of producing ingredients for the meals we eat, both at home and in restaurants. I know it has opened my eyes, and has increased my respect for nature and organic farming.


No comments:

Post a Comment